Article I - Name
The name of the Association shall be "The Fruit Belt Officials
Article II - Purpose
The Fruit Belt Officials Association is an organization serving high
school athletic officials in southwest Michigan. Our members referee and
umpire the following sports: football, basketball, volleyball, wrestling,
baseball and softball. The mission of our group is as follows:
- To provide training.
- To provide a forum for regular rules and mechanics study.
- To promote the positive image of officials in our community.
- To promote members' growth by engaging speakers of interest.
- To further our avocation by recruiting, training and integrating new
Article III - Membership
Section I -
Membership in this Association shall be of two kinds: active and associate.
Section II - ACTIVE
- Be an MHSAA registered official.
- Pay the yearly dues as determined by Article IV, below.
- Not miss more than one of the three general meetings without prior
notification to the secretary or trainer for the sport
- Attend at least 80% of the rules discussion meetings in each of the
sports for which they are participating. Excused absences will be
accepted if they are requested in advance from the secretary or trainer.
- Remain "Members in Good Standing" by being in compliance with all
provisions of Section II.
Section III -
ASSOCIATED MEMBERS shall:
- Consist of coaches and athletic directors, who are not also
- Not be required to attend meetings or pay dues.
Section IV - Be it
understood that in the event an ACTIVE MEMBER fails to qualify in ALL of the
above listed requirements, they shall no longer:
- Be a member of the association.
- Be a member in good standing.
Section V - In the
event an ACTIVE MEMBER of the association becomes delinquent in the payment
of annual dues (as outlined in Article IV, Section II below) he/she shall:
- Forfeit his/her right to membership in the association.
- Be stricken from the roster of "Members in Good Standing."
- In order to be re-admitted to membership, all delinquent membership
dues and fees must be paid-and a confirming vote obtained from the board
Article IV - Dues
Section I - The
fiscal year of this association shall begin June 1st of each year.
Section II - AMOUNT
AND COLLECTION OF DUES
- The annual dues shall be determined by the board of
directors-subject to confirmation by a majority of members present at a
general membership meeting.
- Dues are to be paid one year in advance.
- Dues are considered delinquent after June 1st of each year. The
first notice of delinquency shall be sent to each member (on the
previous year's role) prior to the first general meeting of the next
Article V - Officers and Duties
Section I - OFFICERS
- The elected officers of this association shall consist of:
President, Vice President, Treasurer, Recording Secretary and two
Section II - DUTIES
- The President shall:
- Preside at all general meetings.
- Secure a meeting place.
- Appoint any committees as deemed necessary for the most
efficient operation of the affairs of the association.
- Be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- The Vice President shall:
- Perform all the duties of the President in case of the absence
of the President.
- The Recording Secretary shall:
- Record the minutes of each meeting of the association.
- Carry on all necessary correspondence.
- The Treasurer shall:
- Collect dues and any financial assessments called for by the
board of directors, as approved by the general membership.
- Keep a receipt book as a record of all monies received.
- Be responsible for the safe keeping of all association funds.
- Make expenditures from the treasury only when ordered to do so
by the Board of Directors.
- Keep a cash book containing an itemized account of all monies
received and all expenditures.
- Shall, upon the election of a successor, turn over an audited
report to his successor. All monies shall be transferred to his
successor at the time his term of office expires.
- The Trustees shall:
- Attend all board meetings, general meetings, and rules meetings
of the sport(s) they officiate.
- Represent members’ concerns and
forward members’ recommendations to the board.
- Accept those
responsibilities delegated to them by the president in keeping with
the purpose of the association.
- Foster the welfare of officials
of all sports in which the association is active.
- Be open to
accept feedback and input from the membership regarding association
activities and initiatives.
- Serve as role models for the members
of the association, pursuing his/her own personal path of
- Monitor the activity of the sports
trainers, forwarding reports of praise and/or concerns to the board.
- Assist to carry out the purpose of the association.
- Serve as
the Constitution Committee responsible to regularly review the
bylaws for association compliance, forwarding their and members’
recommendations for amendments and revisions, if any, to the board
- The Sports Trainers shall:
- Serve for a term of one year and are eligible for reappointment
with no term limits.
- Be appointed or reappointed annually by the board upon an annual
review which shall be conducted by the board following the spring
- Be accountable to the board to maintain a training program in
accord with the responsibilities expressed in the most current MHSAA
- Give an account at each general meeting of previous training
held and upcoming training planned. In the case that attendance is
not possible due to schedule, valid excuse shall be communicated to
the president prior and another representative of that sport
appointed by the trainer to issue the report.
- Organize and schedule at least three rules meetings for
baseball, basketball, football, softball, volleyball and wrestling
member officials each year.
- Prepare and distribute educational, training aids, and
recommended officiating procedures to members.
- Record unusual game situations encountered by members and
ascertain correct rulings, utilizing the state association as a
resource if necessary.
Section III - The
Board of Directors shall consist of the officers provided for in Article V
Section I, above plus two Trustees appointed by the president. The
initiative and operations of this association shall rest solely and entirely
with the Board of Directors.
Section IV - Any
member of the association may hold office if they are in members in good standing,
provided they have been a member of the association for a period of one year
Section V - It
shall be the responsibility of THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS to review all reports
of questionable conduct by any member which has been reported to the
association by an official representative of a school. The board may take
whatever action it deems necessary in order to maintain the integrity and
ethical standards of the association.
Article VI - Nomination and Election of Officers
Section I - Every
other year, the President shall appoint a nominating committee at the second
general meeting. This committee shall present a list of candidates for the
four elected officers and two elected Trustees at large at the last
general meeting of the year. Be it understood that additional names may be
submitted as candidates for any office from the floor.
Section II -
- The biennial election of officers shall take place at the last general
meeting of the year.
- The election shall be by secret ballot, and every person must cast
his own ballot personally at said meeting.
- The candidate receiving the majority of all votes cast for the said
office shall be declared the winner.
- Duly elected officers shall take office each year on April 1st
following the election.
- Any vacancy created by circumstance shall be filled by an
appointment for the unexpired term by the Board of directors.
Article VII - Meetings
Section I - During
the fiscal year, three general meetings shall be held preceding each major
seasonal sport, as follows:
- March or April.
Article VIII - Amendments
Section I - All
proposed amendments to this constitution shall be presented at a regular
general membership meeting. At the next succeeding general membership
meeting, the amendment shall be effective, if approved by a majority vote of
the membership present at said meeting.