2012 - 13 Scholarship Winners Announced
At the Fall 2009 general meeting, it was decided to begin a scholarship
fund for area athletes. This program, which will award two $500 scholarships
each year, began in the Spring of 2010. The scholarships are non-gender
specific, and the winners are voted on by the membership. We are pleased to
announce the recipients of this award for 2012 - 13:
- Paige Andersen, Berrien Springs
- Alyssa Krynicky, Bridgman
|Paige Andersen of Berrien Springs
|| Alyssa Krynicky, Bridgman High
Paige Anderson was on the Berrien Springs Honor Roll
all four of her high school years and carried a GPA of
3.50. She was a member of the National Honor
Society. She received a number of awards, including:
- United States Marine Corps
Distinguished Athlete Award 2013.
- MSHAA Scholar/Athlete
Honorable Mention Award.
- Prudential Spirit of Community
- You Make A Difference Volunteer
Award from the Volunteer Center of Southwest Michigan.
Athletically, Paige excelled in basketball and track.
Some of her accomplishments and awards are listed below:
Track and Field
- Ten time Lakeland Conference
- Three time Wolverine Conference
- Fourteen time State Qualifier.
- Three time Regional Champion.
- Current School Record Holder in the
100m Hurdles, long jump and 4 x 100 relay.
Academic-2009, 2010 ,2011 & 2012.
- All State 2010, 2011 &
- Track and Field MVP 2012 & 2013.
County Student Athlete of the Week 2012 and 2013,
Freshman Track and Field.
- Team Captain 2012.
Hershey Track and Field North American Finalist,
Standing Long Jump.
- Iron-woman Award, Berrien Springs High School
Paige has been accepted to the Nursing Program at The University of Detroit Mercy
(UDM). She has been awarded both academic and athletic
scholarships and will compete on their
Division 1 Track Team.
Alyssa Krynicky maintained a 3.55 GPA at Bridgman High
School and was in the top 15 of her graduating class. Her academic highlights
- Four years honor roll.
- Two years National Honor Society.
- U.S. Army Reserve National Scholar/Athlete Award.
- Michigan Competitive Scholarship recognition.
- MHSAA Scholar Athlete Honorable Mention.
Athletically Alyssa showed exceptional determination and courage after she
suffered a torn ACL during her junior year in basketball. She battled back to
play her senior year and was named team captain and then earned 1st team
Lakeland Conference honors. Here are some of her athletic awards:
- 1st Team Lakeland Conference Basketball.
- Member of two District Championship basketball teams.
- Team captain in basketball, volleyball and softball.
- Two time Academic All-Conference Athlete.
- Winner of the Bridgman Tri-Sport Athlete Award.
Alyssa was awarded several academic scholarships and will attend Grand Valley
State University in the fall.
The students personally applied for the scholarships, and were chosen
from a list of approximately 90 candidates. They were selected based on the
strength of their applications, grade point average, and display of the
highest standards in sportsmanship, citizenship, dedication and
determination. We wish the very best to these fine young ladies as they
continue their educations.
Below is a list of previous recipients for the FBOA scholarship award:
2011 - 12
- Angelika Anderson, Brandywine High School
- Grace Carver, South Haven High School
2010 - 11
- Richard Vreeland, Gobles High School
- Tenisha Jones, Benton Harbor High School
2009 - 10
- Kristen Fitzsimmons, Cassopolis High School
- Leigh Ann Ives, Lake Michigan Catholic High School